SynBio Africa Ambassadors program brings together a diverse team of national leaders who have background experiences, and interests in synthetic biology. The Ambassadors work together with SynBio Africa team to promote initiatives that expand synthetic biology and collaborations with relevant stakeholders to disseminate cooperation across their community.
Who should apply
Do you want to help shape the future of Synthetic biology in Africa? Do you want to join an incredible team that has embraced synthetic biology in Africa? SynBio Africa is recruiting for the second cohort of Ambassadors from different countries in Africa. We are looking for passionate and dedicated synthetic biology enthusiasts to help promote and support the activities of SynBio Africa in their respective countries.
Number of positions: Two (2) ambassadors per every African country.
Duration: One (1) year, 2023/2024.
Main roles and responsibilities.
This is a volunteer position and requires commitment to accomplish specific tasks. On average this position requires 8 hours per week, with more hours needed during SynBio Africa events planning. The roles and responsibilities includes;
- An official Ambassador and representative of SynBio Africa in their countries.
- Responsible for recruiting SynBio teams/chapters in their countries to promote awareness of synthetic biology at the country level.
- Promotes and coordinates all SynBio Africa events / activities in their communities, research institutions, Universities, and other relevant organizations through in-person meetings, seminars, notice boards, social media handles, etc.
- Link SynBio Africa with citizen scientists, researchers, and industry leaders in their country.
- Attending monthly Ambassadors meetings.
- Proposing relevant initiatives aimed at promoting synthetic biology in their respective countries.
Key expectations for each ambassador include;
- Introduction of synthetic biology research to communities, research Institutes, and academic institutions in their respective countries through one-on-one meetings, symposium, seminars, etc.
- Organizing bi-monthly meetings with national synthetic biology groups.
- Promoting synthetic biology and SynBio Africa mandate through Social Media platforms like Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc.
- Monthly progress report and strategic plan of action.
✓ Free tickets to participate in SynBio Africa conferences, workshops, and symposiums.
✓ International recognition in the synthetic biology global network.
✓ Guidance and mentorship by SynBio Africa experts.
✓ Opportunity to network, interact, and collaborate with SynBio communities, and industry.
✓ Access to funding opportunities, scholarships, fellowships, sponsored training opportunities.
✓ Career development and capacity building in communication, public speaking, and advocacy.
✓ Stepping stone towards securing job opportunities within synthetic biology ecosystem.
✓ And many other benefits.
An undergraduate degree and above, in biotechnology, biomedical sciences, life sciences or any other related field, from a recognized university.
Self-motivated person who can work effectively in a diverse team environment.
Sound cross-cultural, interpersonal, and networking skills.
Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English and or French.
Experience in social media marketing.
Send your updated CV and statement of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org and copy email@example.com.
Deadline: Friday 22nd October 2023.
Note: Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interviews.